Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Like I Need Another Hobby

Decided to attempt needle tatting, without a tatting needle (used a yarn needle) or appropriately sized thread (used yarn). Followed directions on an Instructable written by a blogger I follow (TotusMel of Needle Tatting and Other Nonsense and TotusMel's Wunderkammer - she featured one of Volk's art gears here); didn't watch the accompanying video.

Observation the First: Tatting needles are designed for the function of tatting. Yarn needles are not. The eye end is fat and one can hurt their fingers attempting to draw the needle through the tatting.

Observation the Second: Yarn is not an ideal material for tatting. It wants to unspin itself.

Observation the Third: I should have also watched the instructional video, as there is definitely some twisting and warping in my attempt, which I'd bet wouldn't be there if I had. Or if I knew more about tatting rings and chains. Which now I do.

Cell phone photos for your enjoyment (cell phone is not good at close up details):



(for size comparison)
Just felt like sharing.

(As a side note... if any of you guys with Etsy shops have items posted that fall into the Dark/Steamy category or close enough, links can be suggested to TotusMel for feature on the Wunderkammer... I'm more than willing to make suggestions on the off chance that a feature will send some views/business your way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment